Delivering quality therapy through generations
Search
 
  • Magyar
  • Русский
  • GR worldwide:
Skip Navigation Links
Printable version

The history of Gedeon Richter

Until 1914

  Gedeon Richter Plc., the largest pharmaceutical factory in Hungary, was established by pharmacist Gedeon Richter in 1901. Richter is not only the founder of the Company, but the establishment of his firm also marked the beginning of the development of the Hungarian pharmaceutical industry. Initially, small-scale pharmaceutical production took place in the "Sas" (Eagle) Pharmacy, which still operates. Independent pharmaceutical research and production activities were launched in Hungary in those days. However, pharmaceutical production at an industrial scale necessitated heavy investments and large-scale pharmaceutical manufacturing activities were considered to be extremely capital-intensive operations even by the established standards in western countries.
 Gedeon Richter  

Initially, the laboratory that operated on the premises of the pharmacy processed extracts from animal organs and produced organotherapeutic drugs. The plant was built in 1907 in Budapest's Kőbánya suburb. In parallel with the international trends of the pharmaceutical industry in those days, the Company first produced organotherapeutic drugs and processed plant extracts and later started synthetic production. Richter became a highly recognized manufacturer of Lecithin products, antiseptic and febrifuge products as well as pain killers (Hyperol, Kalmopyrin, Tonogen).

Between 1914 and 1945

Between 1945 and 1991

Between 1991 and 2003 

From 2004 onwards

PRICE BOX
BSE 2014.04.19. 21:31
3 800 HUF -1.02%